Friday, October 24, 2008

Sacked and canned

I drove from downtown Tucson to the Foothills, believing I was going to work. Instead, I was given a termination due to economic reasons...downsizing if you will even though VinTabla is in the works to open a sister restaurant at Dove Mountain next month. I have always given my employers at least two weeks notice of me leaving. In this case I was given no notice, and told that it would not be necessary for me to come in at all this week. This was October 23rd...about 6pm. I sat there looking at the GM and floor manager in disbelief that as an independent company, they would choose to treat employees in this manner. Realizing that it may be a while for me to have a proper drink or money to pay for food, I rose from the chair in the cramped office, told them I was no longer going to speak to them, and told them they would be footing the bill for drinks tonight. I have been a bartender at Vin Tabla for almost eight months. Not the easiest feat since there is next to no support staff. Disappointing since I actually believed in this establishment. Here I was, fired, jobless and drinking an Anselmet Syrah along with a few tears.

Some people get mad, others get even...I decided to get creative.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I saw your sign when I pulled into the bank today and got curious. After reading your blog I literally laughed out loud. Do you really think it is appropriate to litter our city with your immature rantings about losing your bartending job? If you have a problem with the minimum wage for tipped employees or that Arizona is a "right to work state" this campaign will make no difference in that. VINtabla couldn't afford you, the country is in a recession, go get another job! Spending your time, energy, resources, creativity and other talents on this little slamming campaign isn't going to bring in any money or change the construct of employment in Arizona. It is only going to cause your old co-workers to lose their jobs too. Quit being a selfish crybaby and just go get another job! I know for a fact that accross the street from VINtabla at La Encantada there are numerous seasonal positions available at the retail stores and the restaurants are always hiring for the busy season. I know because I am a server at the busiest one and we just hired 3 people last week. Geez. What a waste of your evident abilities. Go clean up our telephone poles that you posted your crap flier on.